Wednesday, August 21, 2013

BASKET PROGRESS AND ANOTHER TRIP

I received August's baskets (12) last week and still hadn't worked on July's, so my goal was to get the 24 basket blocks prepped in order to take on a short trip this week to visit my sister.  While getting the prepping done, I also got 8 of them sewn down, so I only have 16 to take on the trip.


This is my packet of prepped blocks.  I'll put them in the baggie.  I finally remembered that I had appliqué glue on hand, so I glued these on the block and don't have to fiddle with the pins - in case I need some, I put a few pins in the little altoids tin.  But not using the pins is really nice - especially if I am working on this in the airport or airplane.  


 In the mean time, I decided to start sewing these blocks together.  This project was started when I retired in 2009 and was my "travel" project even before we got the camper.  The blocks have been finished for a while and they are going together rather fast.



Yesterday AT&T upgraded us to fiber optic internet and the technician had to put the wire through the wall into my sewing closet.  I had no idea he would have to do that, so I wasn't prepared.  I took out a bunch of stuff and the benefit is that now I can see the floor in there!  I even vacuumed it and organized some things for better access.  I still need to rearrange my shelves which are on the left side and you can't really see them.  I plan to put my CW fabric on a higher shelf and put all my plastic bins on a lower shelf so it will be easier for me to see what I have in there.


While I was in there I found some backing fabric that I had forgotten about and I didn't find some fabric that I bought to make a long CW type dress.  I have searched in this closet and in my "overflow" closet to no avail.  Well, it will have to wait until I return.

This is my first time that I will be flying standby using the discount that we get from my DS's company that he flies with.  I hope I don't have to wait too long.  But, I will have my baskets and a couple books along to keep me occupied.

9 comments:

  1. Where are you off to now? Have a good trip.
    I love your quilt! So many great colors and fabrics.
    I have to get moving on so many things....hopefully I will feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have the patience of Job to contend with all those cute little baskets! Those blocks are going to make a very nice quilt too! Have fun on your trip. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little baskets will make a nice travel project. When I am on the road I like to have handwork, but at home I usually prefer to be piecing blocks.
    Sometimes those surprises that make you face your closets are a blessing in disguise, aren't they? : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little baskets, I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Have a safe, fun trip! The second quilt is so pretty, I love all the colors and the X design. So many project ideas, not enough time to finish all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The travel project looks fabulous ! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you don't have too long a wait for a flight, but you have a lovely project to work on as you wait. I love the bright scrappy look of the quilt you are moving out of UFO status.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your little baskets..........I'm going to make mine in blue and brown reproductions......I haven't started yet , but one day.
    And your scrappy block look fantastic too........
    Have a nice visit with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is your DH letting everyone know that you are the most special woman in the world. I love you even more now than when we first got married over 51 years ago.
    Your loving DH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruth, just wanted to let you know I happened upon your blog and you have a new fan from Montreal, Canada. Love your projects and am anxious to see the baskets come together. Seeing your blocks with the string down the middle reminded me that I made many, many of the blocks some time ago...and haven't seen them since! Will have to dig around in my sewing room because I feel some inspiration to get back at them! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete