Wednesday, October 8, 2014

USING DESIGN WALL!!

Since the design wall was up, I thought I would put up some blocks.  Last Christmas, the president of my guild in Texas gave us some 2 1/2" strips of fabric.  I didn't know what to do with them, so I just sewed them together and cut them into 6 1/2" rail fence blocks.  Well, I didn't have enough for a whole quilt, so I dug out my box of Christmas fabric to see what I could come up with.  I wanted to use fabric from stash.  I used white, plain or white on white, for the middle strip and used up some small pieces of white.  Then I had quite a bit of some different yardages, which I put together with white and pretty soon my design wall was full!


This is what got me going - the blue and white from my guild president.


I almost have the top together and will figure out something for borders, but there are 12 rows of 10 blocks each, which will measure 72" x 60".

As "leader/enders" I have started another quilt by Bonnie Hunter called Bow-Dacious.  I have am making some progress too.  The block below measures 9 1/2" square.  If I follow Bonnie's directions, I would need 49 of these blocks.  Along with the border, the quilt would measure 84" x 84".  I don't know how big I will make it.  I'm using all scraps for this so far.


These little parts of the larger block measure 4 1/2" square.


It doesn't seem like I'm spending any time at all on it using the leader/ender method.

What are you working on?  I still need to do more organizing, though, so I can't do too much sewing. I thought that while the blocks are up, I might as well sew them together, right?

8 comments:

  1. Nice looking rail fence--looks really good on your new design wall! : )
    I love that pattern of Bonnie's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought you were going to the beach, and here you are sewing again! *giggle* Have fun, either way! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grea rail fence. Your leaders and enders looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your design wall is looking good! I'm very impressed with you using your scraps. I managed to use a few this year, but there are many, many more than what I used up still sitting all prettily cut up in a bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Great use of your scraps.

    Looks as though you are taking time for "Ruth" having fun sewing in-between organizing your new home....I'm still organizing and we have been in our new home 1 1/2 years... :)

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the leader/ender method for everything I sew - quilting or garments or household items. You're making such good use of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to see blocks on your new design wall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rail fence looks so pretty. Great colors. Those bow ties are cute.
    you really are making progress all around, sewing, organizing, and settling into a new house.

    ReplyDelete